I was a bullet dodger today, dodged the type of bullets that would have been $200 mistakes. That line of type you see up there had originally planned to go underneath the "The Thief" text block. However, with that plan, I would've chopped off about 3/4 of the letters in the cropping of the final book. The realization hit me when I was minutes away from going on press. My armpits dampened, my face flushed and I felt a tiny little pit in my stomach. I did, however, manage to pull out of this swan dive in the short amount of time I had.
There I was, face to face with the press. Like looking down the barrel of a gun. I felt ready, but I indeed was not. I had a little bit of a wonky chase that had a bend in the top that was preventing a flush setting against the edge of the press, thus causing my nice straight line of type to not be so nice and straight. I took the necessary steps to make sure that line did, in the end, end up straight. Next, I had to adjust my thief eye band to a more prime angle. After four tests, it was right where I had hoped. Couldn't have done it without Weijan and his on point commands. Make ready is just below followed by the final print.
After the 50 prints were completed I felt euphoric and a bit hungry, so I went and ate last nights curry my lovely wife had packed me. Afterwards I began to dive into my Hatch Show Print experiments. Jamie gave me a quick tutorial and let me go at it. I was to use a polymer rectangle affixed to some metallic, inch thick base. Using several brayers with varieties of inks I let loose and "painted" the surface. It was wonderful. I let my inhibitions fly painted like it was my last time in the letterpress studio (It actually almost is...).
The end results took me completely by surprise. Five of those sheets were actually black paper. That paper has now been altered, totally altered. Oh, and the bottom right one is Adele's, not mine. It's very lovely.